“FDN (Functional Diagnostic Nutrition) empowers you to dramatically improve your health through functional lab work and effective natural healing strategies.”
– Rick Gold, Certified FDN Practitioner & GFW President & Founder
As a nation, we are sicker than ever. The statistics are sobering:
- 50 million Americans suffer from one or more autoimmune disorders like MS, Crohn’s, Celiac, and Rheumatoid arthritis (there are between 100-140 identified autoimmune disorders today).
- Over 13 million Americans are currently dealing with cancer and over 40% of Americans will receive a cancer diagnosis in their lifetime. According to this, almost everyone we know, including ourselves, have close to a coin toss chance of developing cancer in our lifetimes.
- Heart disease, a completely preventable illness, is the leading cause of death in the US.
- Neurological diseases and disorders like Depression, Bi-polar illness, Autism, Parkinson’s, and Alzheimer’s are skyrocketing. From 1997-2008, 1 in every 6 children were diagnosed with a neurological disorder. I would venture to say that number is even higher now. Think about that. 1 in every 6!
- 60-70 million Americans are afflicted with some kind of digestive disorder like hernias, constipation, diverticulitis, gallstones, GERD, infections, hemorrhoids, inflammatory bowel disease, liver disease, and pancreatitis.
- One quarter of the world’s adults have metabolic syndrome, a collection of the most predictive risk factors for heart attacks.
Keep in mind that all of the statistics cited above only keep track of the diagnosed cases. There are many people that have gone undiagnosed in every bucket above. So, the health problems we are facing today as a society are far greater than even these sobering statistics show.
So how did we get here?
Well, there is no doubt that genetics play a role. But if you know anything about epigenetics, you understand that it is environment and lifestyle that are the largest determining factors of our overall health.
Meet Candice, a perfect representation of your typical 30-40 year old American woman. She is a wife and mom to 2 kids.
In the subsequent story below, I am going to link to information that shows how Candice’s lifestyle and the way Candice was dealing with her health issues contributed to and even caused serious sub-clinical malfunctions in her body that led to all of the symptoms that she was feeling by the time she became my client.
Candice presented the following main health complaints:
- Always feeling tired, wiped out.
- Trouble waking up in the morning and getting to sleep at night.
- Trouble staying asleep at night.
- Needs coffee at several times a day to keep going.
- She was carrying extra weight that she could not get rid of.
- Sugar and salt cravings.
- Frequent colds, sinus, and yeast infections.
- Stressed out, anxiety, depression.
- Acid reflux and heartburn.
- Alternating constipation and diarrhea.
- Random skin rashes/hives.
- Frequent headaches.
Frankly, these complaints aren’t very different from what most of us feel on any given day. These are considered common ailments, and there are a boatload of over the counter medications that help to alleviate the discomfort associated with them.
Candice was no stranger to them either. She regularly took painkillers for her headaches and sleeping aids to help her sleep. She took antacids to battle her acid reflux. Perhaps her doctor never informed her that natural methods are safer and more effective for the treatment of acid reflux than antacids. She took a common OTC allergy medication to help manage her allergies. She took a popular anti-depressant and anti-anxiety prescription for her anxiety and depression. Perhaps her doctors never told her that all of the drugs she takes regularly very likely will create a huge toxic load on her liver and could lead to serious complications down the line.
Because she has 2 young children, she rarely got a full night of restful sleep which causes serious inflammation and stress on her body, and can lead to adrenal fatigue. She also was under a tremendous amount of stress from her job and financial difficulties, not to mention enduring several deaths in her family which put a huge burden on her adrenal glands and also leads to adrenal fatigue.
Candice is a very busy woman, and she rarely took time to address her own health and stress levels through consistent moderate exercise and brief daily meditation. She was burning the candle at both ends.
To relieve her stress, Candice started drinking wine regularly and drank heavily on the weekends when she and her husband went out with friends, which unfortunately put even more stress on her adrenal glands and further exacerbated her symptoms.
Her daily morning regimen includes using chemical laden soap, shampoo, shaving cream, anti-antiperspirants, make-up, lotion, and perfumes, all which contain chemicals and metals in them that are known endocrine disruptors, and add to the toxic burden on her liver as well as general stress on her adrenal glands.
Unfortunately, the chemical assault on Candice’s liver and adrenal glands doesn’t stop there; she regularly uses similarly chemical-laden household cleaning products, drinks from plastic water bottles, colors her hair with chemical dyes, and uses chemical-laden sunscreen that actually may increase her risk of cancer.
Because of how busy she is, Candice regularly eats out at restaurants, where she unfortunately does not really know what ingredients are being added to her food. They also cook their food in artery clogging oxidized vegetable oils that cause inflammation in her body.
Because of a lack of understanding the dangers involved with eating non-organic foods, the benefits of eating organic food, and her financial difficulties, Candice rarely buys and eats organic food, which increases the toxic load on her body further, and promotes malnutrition.
Candice’s use of antacids reduced her stomach acid, which impairs her body’s ability to digest and assimilate the food that she eats and further results in malnutrition.
Over the last several years, Candice has been to several doctors for her various ailments. In some cases, she was given prescription strength drugs to help alleviate the discomfort associated with them which did temporarily help alleviate her symptoms, but unfortunately also increased the toxic burden on her body. Her blood tests, however, came back unremarkable, and she was consistently sent on her way under the impression that she was healthy, and that she was just under a lot of stress and needed to get better sleep.
This, of course, is true…but it’s not the whole truth…
After running several functional labs on Candice, I identified several sub-clinical malfunctions and imbalances in her body that were likely the causes of most of her symptoms:
- She had stage 2 adrenal fatigue, low DHEA, and other hormonal imbalances.
- We found that she was having trouble digesting and absorbing proteins, and thus was malnourished (even though she had extra weight).
- She had low melatonin levels which can explain the trouble she is having with her sleep habits and circadian rhythms.
- She had elevated lipid peroxides, which, put simply, means that her body was aging before its time, and putting her at increased risk for diseases like cancer.
- Candice’s thyroid was not functioning properly (hypothyroidism), likely a result of the adrenal stress she was under.
- She had multiple food sensitivities (including gluten, dairy, and other seemingly innocuous foods like iceberg lettuce!), which caused heightened immune activity, general inflammation, and increased intestinal permeability (leaky gut).
- Candice had elevated urinary bile acid sulfates, a key marker that indicates possible liver congestion.
- She had heavy metal toxicity.
Through the use of functional lab work, we identified an enormous amount of healing opportunities for Candice.
So why didn’t her doctors find this stuff? Simple: Most doctors don’t run the type of labs that I run on clients. They run labs that are geared towards diagnosing disease…and they are in the business of diagnosing and treating disease through the use of prescription drugs, surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation.
The labs that I run are geared towards finding sub-clinical malfunctions in the body, meaning malfunctions that are not diseases. These are the type of malfunctions that, if left to proliferate, can and will lead to disease eventually.
For instance, a doctor will diagnose you with NAFLD (non-alcohol fatty liver disease). That is a disease of the liver. But he/she isn’t necessarily concerned with testing for urinary bile acids, because elevated UBAS does not mean you have liver disease. It is a potential precursor for that. So, only practitioners who work in the field of prevention would be interested in that marker.
Back to Candice: Through the use of potent, proven, and effective natural protocols, she is well on her way to building her overall health back.
The protocols include recommendations for intense lifestyle changes in Diet, Rest, Exercise, Stress reduction (mental/emotional and hidden internal), and targeted Supplementation. I had Candice take a Metabolic Typing Assessment to find out the best type of diet for her specific metabolic type. We used top-notch services that created a very tailored and specific meal plan for her that excluded the laundry list of foods which she was reactive to. I gave her recommendations on how to optimize her sleep habits, balance her hormones, nurse her adrenal glands back to health, and to detoxify her body. At FDN, we like to call it the D.R.E.S.S. for health success program. You can read more about how I work on my FAQ page.
I taught Candice how to become less reliant on modern medicine to take care of her health, and how to become an active every-day participant in her health. The lab testing and the natural protocols that I taught her empowered her to not only take charge of her own health, but the health of her entire family.
Candice is currently regaining energy and vitality, and has a new-found knowledge, interest, and a passion for taking care of her own emotional and physical well-being. Here is the bottom line:
When we employ a holistic view of the body, recognizing that all parts of the body are inter-connected and inter-dependent on one another for proper function, and work to positively affect the underlying causes of the symptoms that people feel through natural protocols, the clients’ symptoms usually subside or are eliminated completely. It’s really that simple.
I hope that this article helped to inspire you to do the same as Candice: Take charge of your health! Don’t accept the current medical model, which is to sit back and wait for serious conditions or diseases to strike and then pray that modern medicine will save you!
You hold the keys to vibrant health, and those keys are the lifestyle choices that you make each and every moment of each and every day of your life. Every lifestyle choice that you make either degrades your health or improves it. There is no in-between.
Now I’d like to hear from you. Do you suffer from any of the symptoms that Candice did? Have you been to the doctor and were told that ‘everything looks normal’ even though you are certain that something feels ‘off’? Have you had any experiences with working with a holistic practitioner that runs the type of labs that I run?
Thanks for reading!
Rick Gold, Functional Wellness, FDN Practitioner
Gold Functional Wellness, Inc.
Book a consult: http://www.snapappointments.com/listing/38C
Follow me on Twitter: @RickGoldFWP
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of the author, unless otherwise noted. The information on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research and experience of the author. Rick is not a doctor, nutritionist, or dietitian and he does not claim to diagnose, treat, or cure disease.