- The Paleo Solution, By Robb Wolf – This is the first book that I read about the Paleo diet. Robb Wolf is a top authority on anything Paleo. It was a terrific read and provided just enough of the science behind why it works without being boring. I blew through this book quickly and it gave me all of the tools I needed to start eating Paleo.
- Why we get fat, and what to do about it, By Gary Taubes – Taubes is a brilliant science journalist and research expert. In this book he cuts through all of the dogma and misinformation about nutrition to provide a concise and meaningful solution to the world’s obesity epidemic. He backs up all of his writings with references to scientific studies. A powerhouse book if you are interested in learning about how to eat for optimal weight AND optimal health.
- Good calories, Bad calories, By Gary Taubes – The prequel the “why we get fat”. Another excellent Taubes read. A must read for anyone who wants to understand the role of carbohydrates, fat, and protein in our bodies.
- The Metabolic Typing Diet, By William Wolcott and Trish Fahey – For hereditary reasons, your metabolism is unique. Cutting-edge research shows that no single diet works well for everyone–the very same foods that keep your best friend slim may keep you overweight and feeling unhealthy and fatigued. Now, William Wolcott, a pioneer in the field of metabolic research, has developed a revolutionary weight-loss program that allows you to identify your “metabolic type” and create a diet that suits your individual nutritional needs.
- The Mood Cure, By Julia Ross – We’re in a bad mood epidemic, but Julia Ross’s plan provides a natural cure. Drawing on thirty years of experience, she presents breakthrough solutions to overcoming depression, anxiety, irritability, stress, and other negative emotional states that are diminishing the quality of our lives.
- Everyday Paleo, By Sarah Fragoso – The Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook offers guidance on how to bring your family together with the magic of real food. As modern life grows more hectic with each passing day, a part of living the paleo lifestyle is slowing down and enjoying the time we have with family and friends. This cookbook is intended to remind us of how precious these moments are, and that some of the fondest memories can be made while sitting at the dinner table with the ones we love. Savoring these moments, along with delicious and healthful food, is what life is all about.
- Bad Pharma, By Ben Goldacre – We like to imagine that medicine is based on evidence and the results of fair testing and clinical trials. In reality, those tests and trials are often profoundly flawed. We like to imagine that doctors who write prescriptions for everything from antidepressants to cancer drugs to heart medication are familiar with the research literature about a drug, when in reality much of the research is hidden from them by drug companies. We like to imagine that doctors are impartially educated, when in reality much of their education is funded by the pharmaceutical industry. We like to imagine that regulators have some code of ethics and let only effective drugs onto the market, when in reality they approve useless drugs, with data on side effects casually withheld from doctors and patients.
All these problems have been shielded from public scrutiny because they’re too complex to capture in a sound bite. But Ben Goldacre shows that the true scale of this murderous disaster fully reveals itself only when the details are untangled. He believes we should all be able to understand precisely how data manipulation works and how research misconduct in the medical industry affects us on a global scale.
With Goldacre’s characteristic flair and a forensic attention to detail, Bad Pharma reveals a shockingly broken system and calls for regulation. This is the pharmaceutical industry as it has never been seen before.
- Normal blood test scores aren’t good enough!, By Ellie Cullen – A complete reading guide to understanding preventive blood testing. In this informative, easy-to-understand guide to the chronically misunderstood subject of preventive blood testing, Ellie Cullen, a Registered Nurse with over 24 years of hands-on, clinical experience, teaches you how to use simple blood tests to learn your body’s current-and future!-state of health.