STOP! Before you read this article:
As you know, this blog is FREE for all to read. The only thing that I ask for in return is that you, the reader, help me to grow my readership so that I can reach as many people as possible with this vital, life-saving information.
In an exciting development, I have been approached by a large online media company about my blog. They LOVE my content (which makes me very happy!), and they want to start featuring it to their millions of readers at some point! However, they won’t do that until I can organically grow my readership to a certain level that qualifies me to blog for their company (which makes me very sad). It’s a sort of chicken and egg thing!
So, if I’ve ever done anything for you…if you’ve ever gotten anything positive out of reading my blog, or my Facebook posts, and you would like to see this blog take it to the next level, this is your chance to help!
You can help me in 4 easy, painless steps that will only take a few seconds of your time:
1) Follow my blog! If you enjoy reading my blogs and you haven’t done so yet, look to the top right of this page for a “follow” button and click it to start following my blog.
2) “Like” and “SHARE” the Gold Functional Wellness Facebook page with your friends. Aside from this blog, I post breaking news about scientific studies that pertain to health on that page. There is a link for that to the right of this blog as well (you might have to scroll down the page a bit).
3) Follow me on Twitter and re-tweet my posts when you like what you read!. There is a Twitter link to the right as well when you scroll down. Just click it to follow me.
4) Finally, if you read my blog entries and they make you think, let me know by commenting in the sections provided at the bottom of each blog entry! The more comments, the better!
I’m pretty big on helping people recognize the little things that they can do to protect their health and the health of their loved ones on a daily basis. It’s not something that most of us think of often, but every day we are all exposed to a tremendous amount of carcinogenic and endocrine-disrupting food dyes, artificial sugars, household chemicals, toxins, bacteria, molds, and air pollution. Unfortunately, we can’t get away from everything. My goal in articles such as this one is to show you a few little things at a time that you can do to keep harmful substances away from you and your family. Today we will focus on kitchen cleaning products:
Dish-washing liquids, liquid hand soaps, all-purpose and kitchen counter cleaning products.
Here is a list of the potentially harmful ingredients in Palmolive anti-bacterial dish-washing liquid (a popular brand):
1) Fragrance – What could be so bad about something that makes your dishes and your hands smell like fresh-cut daisies, right? Well, according to the Enviromental working group (EWG) website, a lot!:
“About FRAGRANCE: The word “fragrance” or “parfum” on the product label represents an undisclosed mixture of various scent chemicals and ingredients used as fragrance dispersants such as diethyl phthalate. Fragrance mixes have been associated with allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress and potential effects on the reproductive system.”
Pretty steep price to pay for nice smelling hands and dishes, eh?
2) Tetrasoudium EDTA – EWG found evidence that raises concern that this chemical can be toxic to your organs other than reproductive ones.
3) Dyes – well, since the Colgate company doesn’t expound any further other than to say that they add “dyes” to their dish-washing liquid, and there are literally thousands of chemical dyes out there, we can’t say for certain which one they use, nor can we say exactly what the health risks are. However, generally speaking, there is a litany of evidence that food dyes cause hyperactivity in children.
Folks, there’s gotta be a better way to get your plates clean! We can’t just blindly fall for the billions of dollars that these companies spend on marketing their products. “softens your hands while you do dishes!” Maybe they should add “makes you infertile, cancerous, toxic, causes allergic reactions, your children hyperactive, causes inflammation, and OH…almost forgot: softens your hands while you do dishes!”.
Do you use Cascade or another similar brand to wash your dishes and utensils (which then go into your MOUTH!)? If so, it’s imperative that you take a look at the product page for cascade on the EWG website, which details each chemical’s ability and propensity to disrupt reproductive and endocrine function, cause cancer, skin irritations, organ toxicity, and allergies just to name a few!
Here are more EWG write-ups on some of the other popular kitchen cleaning products I can think of. Peruse to your heart’s content:
- Windex – asthma, anyone?
- Mr. Clean – Would you like a side of cancer with those shiny floors?
- Ajax – See Mr. Clean.
If that doesn’t scare you out of using synthetic ingredients and chemicals to clean your house, then I don’t know what will.
How often do you hear people talking about someone they know who has cancer in this way: “He/she was totally healthy! a health nut! ate healthy, exercised, great shape…and then one day, pow! cancer…unreal!”. I hear people talk like this all the time. It seems that everyone is completely befuddled as to why people get cancer. The truth is that our bodies are exposed to cancer causing agents every single day at an alarming rate! There is only so much toxicity that our bodies can handle.
So do yourself and your families a favor and switch to as many all-natural and organic kitchen cleaning products as possible. Of course, it’s hard to find a really good cleaning product that comes with ZERO risk, but there are products out there that are much more natural and considered to be much safer than what you are probably using in your kitchen right now.
For your convenience, here are some alternatives that you use right now to create a healthier environment in your kitchen starting now. All of these cleaning products received an “A” from EWG and carry far less health risks (Full disclosure: If you buy any of the products listed in this article by clicking the links I provide to Amazon, you will be buying the products through my Amazon affiliate account. When you do this, I get a nominal “commission” from Amazon and there is absolutely zero extra cost to you for helping me out. The commissions that I receive from Amazon help me keep this free blog up and running for my readers. While I do make a nominal commission, I ONLY recommend high quality products that I stand behind and that I would use for myself and my family):
* Dr. Bronners Sal’s Suds Liquid Cleaner. You can clean just about everything in your house with this stuff, worry free. Shout out to reader Jennifer Williams who uses this product religiously!
With the options above, you should never feel the need to reach for any of the other chemical-ridden, cancer causing products that we all grew up using.
What’s the worst that can happen? Give them a shot and let me know your thoughts!
I hope that this article helps to make a healthier household environment for everyone who reads it.
Thanks for reading!
Rick Gold, Functional Wellness Practitioner
Gold Functional Wellness, Inc.
Book a consult: http://www.snapappointments.com/listing/38C
Follow me on Twitter: @RickGoldFWP
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of the author, unless otherwise noted. The information on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research and experience of the author. Rick is not a doctor, nutritionist, or dietitian and he does not claim to diagnose, treat, or cure disease.