An article in Forbes magazine caught my attention recently. It was titled:
“U.S. Healthcare Ranked Dead Last Compared To 10 Other Countries”
The US spends more than any other country on healthcare, yet we consistently rank poorly in actual disease incidence and health outcomes compared to other developed nations.
Isn’t it time to take a step back and look at the bigger picture? The way that conventional medicine and our current healthcare system approaches chronic illness simply does not work. It never did. No amount of pharmaceutical pills, surgery, chemo, or radiation is going to fix a disease or condition that was caused by lifestyle.
It has been shown over and over scientifically that cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, and autoimmune conditions are, often, preventable via lifestyle alteration. Incidence of Diabetes, in particular, is growing at an astronomical rate. If nothing is done to turn that ship around, diabetes alone is capable of completely bankrupting our healthcare system.
The only way to approach building this nation’s health back is to acknowledge the causes, and work on eliminating them:
1) Our food supply: We eat highly processed, nutritionally dead, genetically modified, pesticide-ridden, antibiotic-contaminated, calorie-dense, hydrogenated oil-rich foods.
2) Our stress levels: As a nation and individually, we are under intense and chronic amounts of emotional stress AND internal stress (see #1 and add heavy metals, bpa, phthalates, and the 80,000 other chemicals that have been introduced into circulation over the last 100 years and that are ubiquitous in every product in our homes).
3) Our quantity and quality of sleep: We don’t sleep enough. In fact, our society actually highly regards and rewards hard work at the cost of losing sleep.
4) Our sedentary lifestyle: We don’t move enough. Most of us work sedentary jobs and lead sedentary lifestyles
5) Our lack of coping mechanisms for intense chronic stress: We do not put an onus on implementing daily meditation, deep breathing, yoga, or other techniques that help our bodies recover from the vast amounts of stress they are under.
As long as these 5 conditions persist, we will remain sickly, and no amount of money spent on pharmaceutical drugs will reverse that.
But here’s the cool thing: turning this ship around all starts with you (and me)! The type of change that we need is a ‘grassroots’ sort of thing. One person waking up at a time. Enlightenment. Sharing of knowledge and information so that people can start making smarter and more informed choices in every facet of their daily lives. Every day we make literally hundreds of choices (some conscious and others we make automatically without thinking about it, like brushing your teeth with fluoride toothpaste), and each one of those choices either brings us closer to being healthy or closer to getting sick. There is really no in-between.
In a capitalist society, there is only one type of vote that counts, and that is how you spend your money.
EVERY time you buy processed junk foods, high-sugar snacks, GMOs, chemical-laden cosmetics, tanning lotions, shampoos, conditioners, and household cleaning products, you are directly or indirectly voting with your dollars and telling the companies who make these products to keep poisoning you with them!
What do you think would happen to Dunkin’ Donuts if every American decided right now that they are not going to buy another chemical and sugar filled doughnut ever again? Do you think they would keep selling those donuts? Or do you think they would try to change their business model to sell products that the people want? The same goes for all fast food chains like McDonald’s, KFC, Burger king, and grocery stores that fill their shelves with processed junk food. Do you think they would keep selling those products if the public stopped buying them?
So here is how you can help start this health revolution:
1) Get informed! Subscribe to my blog if you haven’t already. Subscribe to others like mine.
2) Share posts like these with your friends and family. People share jokes, funny videos, memes, and statuses about game of thrones at the drop of a hat, but for some reason, when it comes to stuff like this, there isn’t enough traction. And that’s a shame, because social media is a VERY powerful tool for stuff like this!
3) Vote with your dollars! STOP buying processed junk food. Buy perishable foods. Buy organic. Buy grass-fed meats. Buy wild-caught fish. Stay away from GMOs. Buy only organic cosmetics, lotions, shampoos, toothpaste, household cleaning products. etc.
Remember, on an individual basis our actions might not move the needle. But collectively, the power of the masses can literally move mountains! Just look at the stuff that The Food Babe has been able to do!
That’s all for today, guys. Stay tuned, because I am in the midst of compiling an intensive, comprehensive guide to everything probiotics and gut bacteria related! I’ll let you know when that’s complete.
Rick Gold, Functional Wellness, FDN Practitioner
Gold Functional Wellness, Inc.
Book a consult: http://www.snapappointments.com/listing/38C
Follow me on Twitter: @RickGoldFWP
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of the author, unless otherwise noted. The information on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research and experience of the author. Rick is not a doctor, nutritionist, or dietitian and he does not claim to diagnose, treat, or cure disease.